Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tarot Card Proposal

It is my belief that tarot cards have made far more of an impact on our entire world than we would like to think. Most people have had some contact with the cards. Whether it is playing with the cards themself or if you have a tarot reading done, most people are somewhat familiar with how it works. It is a simple enough process afterall.

If you have any questions you would like to see answered or if you just want to know what direction you are headed in, the tarot might have the answer for you. Many of the symbols on the Rider-Waite tarot deck have become well-known and have achieved plenty of notoriety in the mainstream. Any piece of material culture that can change the outcome of events both mundane and global demands a closer examination.

What kind of world leaders have consulted the tarot cards?
What is the history of the cards?
Do they really work? Skeptics vs. Believers
What does their popularity really say about humanity?

Wikipedia - It has the origins of tarot. The kinds of games that can be played are also listed. It talks about the divination purposes as well. An excellent link.

http://trionfi.com/ - It talks about the origins of the cards. It also brings us up to modern day tarot cards. It has a musuem of different decks.

http://www.tarotpedia.com It has links to the usage of tarot cards. It also links to books relating to tarot. The site is interactive so many people have contributed their opinions.

http://www.tarothermit.com/index.htm This site allows you to play with digital online cards. This means you can give yourself a reading whenever you want. This goes to show how tarot might go in the 21st century.

http://jktarot.com/faq.html It says where the name tarot came from. It talks about the symbolic roots of the deck. It also says what each different card means.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tarot-card.htm It has a scientific view on the cards. It takes a balanced view of the phenomenon. It also dispells some rumors, so to speak.

http://www.learntarot.com/ Shows how you can learn to read tarot cards. This goes to show how you can make a living out of knowing the cards. If not a living, then at least make some money on the side.

http://www.littlereview.com/meg/tarot/barbietm.htm This site shows us the Barbie tarot deck. It must be for the whole family! What once was for fortune tellers is now fun for little girls too!

My argument is fairly straightforward. I believe that since the inception of tarot cards in the 15th century, change, as a direct result contact with the tarot, in human behavior can be observed and measured in every level of society.

2 comments:

Ashley H. said...

Kyle, I think you did a really good job! And I really like that you chose tarot cards, which is truly unique object to look at.

I'm new at doing proposals like this so I'm not quite sure what to say besides I think what you gave was great because it is short, sweet, and a perfect preview of what's to come.

The only thing I can (at least) try to give you advice on is that maybe you could have described the cards you were talking about in a little more detail. For example what kind or brand of tarot cards you are looking at etc.

Ok, that seems to be all. I hope it helped!

Ashley H. said...

Hi again!

Ok, I thought about what you wrote some more and I was thinking, why don't you go into why people are so into having their tarot cards read? What is the pull of the cards? Do you think there is some truth behind what the cards tell us? Or is it all a bunch of drivel?

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.